Sunday, March 20, 2011

I went on a date a couple days ago....

I have a feeling this will muster up a lot of hate messages, judgment and more, but, before ya'll get your knickers in a twist..please read first.

My co-workers are aware that I don't go out with guys...alone. They also know that I only get married...and to Muslim men only. (I say it like I do this on a daily basis).

So the date.

This guy is Muslim...he's an acquaintance of this friend of mine. And I guess he happens to be looking for someone and happened to be in town that day. So, my friend tells me she wants me to meet a friend of hers "He's Muslim, good-looking, single and looking."

Me: "Um? can I think about it?"
Her: He's only here for a few days for work. I think you should really think about it. Hey...you never know, it could work!

Me: (nervous as hell, yet appreciative of the offer) I'll think about it...I'll let you know by lunch time.

While I was there...toying with this idea, I consulted a friend..a sister. Her thoughts went something like this:

"What do you know about him? Is he practicing or a closet Muslim? How MUSLIM is he? How old is he?" and the list of 21 questions continued.

Eventually, I decided, on my own to meet him (with this friend of mine of course) I call it a date because of its spur of the moment-ness, the fact my parents had no clue, the fact that I didn't know anything about him. The only thing that made it not a date was that my friend was going to be there. And, it wasn't really a date. But that is what she called it.

So after work, we decided to meet him for coffee. On the way there my friend was asking a million questions.

"So, what do I do? Do I sit at the same table? Do I act like furniture or do I actually interact? I've never really been on a date with someone as a chaperone."

When I write it down it sounds kind of comedic, but while it was happening it didn't feel so funny. I felt like I was doing something wrong, even though I wasn't, really....or was I?

He was a complete gentleman. He didn't try to shake my hand, he respected my space. He was funny, smart. I felt like we could really be friends. But there was something I couldn't put my finger on that just didn't seem to sit right in my stomach. Its been a few days and I haven't heard from him yet and I'm not really sure what happens next.

I guess we wait...some more?

4 comments:

RedBerries said...

Did he know that this was a 'date'? I know the set-up you're talking of - in some parts of London it's super super common...nice and casual, no pressure...the thing is...sometimes there's this confusion right? Because he thinks he's just going for a coffee with his mate and her friend...whereas you've gone with the intention of possibly maybe finding your one and only.

I guess what I'm trying to say is: Did he know that there were even slight marial intentions at the table? Because if he didn't...then that's probably why he didn't call/get in contact. That's my tuppence. I could be wrong. Boys are crazy. No one can predict what they're thinking.

Haych said...

I guess you're right - the best thing to do is just wait.
BUT...

there was something I couldn't put my finger on that just didn't seem to sit right in my stomach.

That's your women's intuition screaming at you. So take it cautiously...

Unknown said...

Or so that is why you're so quite :)

hijaabified.beauty said...

Update:

So, I decided to ask my friend about this so-called date. Apparently this guy was confused. Not sure whether he should get in contact first or if I should tell my friend that I wanted to get in contact with him again...or whatever. (I always thought it was easier on the guy to make the first move). At any rate, I decided not to go through with any of it).

Hisham, I guess I'm quiet because I'm running out of material. I'm really not sure why I'm quiet...but its definitely not because I'm on dates :)